Thursday, November 6, 2008

Key Word: Personalize

I would like to begin this blog by saying that in my opinion, there is nothing better than a note, postcard, or letter that is personalized or handwritten. This lets me know that time and thought was put into it, however, I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with an email either. But by me saying this, it leads me to an article that I read http://mashable.com/2008/11/03/touchnote/ that talked about Touchnote.com and how it makes the internet more personal. On Touchnote you can create personalized emails, customize cards, and after you have created the personalize item you have the option of either just sending to your loved one or sending it to yourself for a real signature. The latest idea that was recreated on Touchnote is making personalized postcards.


I think this is a nice approach in trying to make the CMC more personal because the internet now a day moves people more and more away from personalization and physical interaction. CMC has become a primary consumer of time. Everything is being done within seconds, and seems like it takes less of an effort. This goes right along with what has been discussed from day one in my electronic communications class. Computers and the internet have become the replacement walking to a mailbox and mailing something, picking up the phone and calling someone, writing letters, and even shopping!


Me personally, I believe that anything handwritten is more thoughtful. I feel that someone sitting down picking up a pen, which is unusual these days, and jotted down feelings on paper, is barely surviving when it’s in competition with a computer. I’m not going to lie I would be a little upset if I received a typed love letter as opposed to a written one, but again that’s me. Words are best expressed on paper, not on a computer screen. I love having the ability to cherish a letter or card, rather than saving it on a computer, because it only takes one time for a computer to crash and there goes that email or electronic card. I applaud Touchnote for there progression towards trying to make the internet more personalized, but even so I would actually like to “touch my note”.

7 comments:

ra said...

Hi Candace,

Just wanted to let you know that you can 'touch your note' before sending if you choose the 'back to you' option.

(btw, I work for Touchnote, so thanks for great write-up!)

Razia

Vange Marie said...

I agree with you Candace. Even with all of Touchnotes' efforts, I'd still like to be able to save my love letter in my shoebox, under my bed... just like old times! Who knows, this could work for some people and satisfy other, but for me, I'm going to say no; I'd like my letter delivered personally!

Jenn said...

I agree with you as well Candace. I hate going to my mailbox everyday and never having anything in there, but I can always count on finding some junk e-mail when I check that! With online personal greetings, while they can be great to get, you can't physically have them. What if your computer crashes and you lose it permanently? There is just something about a hand written card that says "I care" that emails or "Touchnotes" just can't provide.

Amanda said...

I agree that Touchnote is a great idea for making emailing more personal. However, I feel a major problem with emails is that you are not sure if the receiver actually understands your message. I’m not sure that this program can actually guarantee that the message will be understood. I do believe it is a step in the right direction by ensuring the theme of the email will be addressed.

Emily said...

Let me say first of all, that I love a handwritten note more than anything. I believe that they are more thoughtful, but I think it takes more time to write them.
I write letters with my 10 year old cousin back and forth when I'm up here at school, and it means the world to both of us.

ra said...

Hey guys,

I’ve just been reading through your comments on the blog, and I just wanted to clarify that Touchnotes are real physical cards! Imagine it as a real life postcard, but instead of going to the shop and buying a general card, you personalise it on the Touchnote website by uploading your own digital photos, adding your personal message, and then Touchnote prints the card and sends it out in the post. If you feel a handwritten note is more personal, you simply choose the option to have the Touchnote send back to yourself, where you can add your own note before sending it out. …so yes, you can still save your love letter or note in your shoebox….
Razia, Touchnote

Tiff said...

While I agree that personalized letters are the best and of course mean the most; I think depending on who the letter is from, it is still personal and touching. My mom and I send e-cards (online cards) to each other often and it still means the world to us because it means that we both spend time to send them. I don't think that e-cards could ever replace personal letters or cards, but it is fast, cheap (free), and the same message can be included when sent to your loved one.