Friday, November 14, 2008

Dos and Don'ts

Recently in my electronic communication class we have been discussing Facebook and Myspace and how they can be negative instead of positive. I ran upon an article http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/worklife/11/05/cb.social.networking/index.html#cnnSTCText. This article discusses all the Do’s and Don’ts of social networking. It states that twenty-two percent of employers say they use social networks such as Facebook, Linkedin, and Brightfuse. Yet, only sixteen percent of workers have modified their profiles with possible employers in mind. An executive director of human resources at Resource Interactive said “We can learn a little more about a candidate’s culture and professionalism”. Some of the top reasons for dismissal from a company due to information found on social networks were drinking and or drug use and inappropriate pictures. The next top reasons were evidence of poor communication skill, negative comments about a former employer and lies about qualifications.


The dos and don’ts that this article suggests regarding social networking are: Do update your profile regularly. Employers like to see top-notch passive job applicants, says Patrice-Anne Rutledge, author of "The Truth About Profiting from Social Networking. Do join groups, but selectively. Don’t join silly groups that potentially can be harmful to your career. And do be on the offense. Make sure you watch what pictures you upload or personal information that has been disclosed on a blog or other sites. Some don’ts are don’t mention your job search if you are still employed, don’t badmouth current or previous employers, and don’t forget that others can see your friends.


I think this article is very beneficial because there is nothing worse than knowing that you did not receive a job based on what you displayed on your Facebook. It’s an eye opener, it make people more conscious of what is being placed on their profiles. I personally always watch everything I say and place on my Facebook profile because I do not want to portray a negative image. I believe that your character is vital in consideration for jobs, so it’s in anyone’s best interest to steer clear of anything that punches holes in their credibility and character. Social networks are now becoming determining factors for people’s futures.

3 comments:

Nora1027 said...

I completely agree with everything you said here Candace. People are crazy to think that what they put on their Facebook profile is none of anyone else's business because the truth is employers do look at your Facebook page, so why take the chance of losing a job just so you can post your picture from the party you went to last weekend. I am like you in that I'm always so careful of what's on my page because my character is very important to me. I don't want anyone, especially a future employer thinking less of me because of some stupid thing I have posted on my Facebook. People need to realize that this is a real issue so that they can take the necessary steps to ensure their job security!

kpungitore said...

Candace, I think this is a very helpful article because let’s face it; most people that are newly being hired into companies have some type of social network. Why wouldn’t employers use this resource? It can serve as a piece of paper that has information on it that a regular resume does not. What is this person really like? It is an excellent way to tell if a employee will be successful or not. It is essential that you portray who you are professionally on your social networking pages. If we monitor now what is on our Facebooks, we will not have to go back later and delete and change everything. This proper Facebook etiquette is a smart skill that will lead to success.

Nicole said...

I completely agree with you and this article!! I think it is ridiculous when I see pictures of people drinking and other illegal things that go up on Facebook. I make sure that my profile is clean because you A) never know what parents are out there and B) employers really do look at this kind of thing, and people don't seem to be taking that very seriously. Like I was looking at pictures from somebody I'm friends with the other day, and there were pictures of them drinking, and then pictures of them in a car. Now the driver might have been completely sober, and the DD that night, but who knows?? The pictures are up and can be interpreted any way. I think that potential job offers are going to creep up on people, and then they are not going to get hired because of their Facebook page.