Thursday, December 11, 2008

Wrapping It Up: CMC

Throughout my experience in my el electronic communications, I became so much more aware of what computer mediated services is and its’ prevalence in everyday life. Without some of computer service, life could actually be difficult. In general I use CMC for emailing, blogging, instant messaging, social networking, and for keeping in touch with friends and family.

Some of the ideas and concepts that I have learned about computer mediated services are the differences between an online community and just a virtual group, online relationship formations, and the ideas behind social networking sites. I became familiarized with so many different social networking sites that I have never heard of, so it was beneficial to see some of the ones that were out there besides Myspace and Facebook. Speaking of Facebook, the Facebook project that we did in this class was very interesting. It gave me a pretty decent idea of how much time people actually spend on Facebook. It definitely allowed me evaluate myself and see how much time dedicate to cruising on Facebook. I wouldn’t say that I’m addicted but I’m pretty close.

Since taking this class my use of the computer mediated communications has not really change. I don’t use it any more or less than I have previously. I am more aware of how I use them, but the frequency of my use hasn’t changed. There are so many new advances in computer technology that I can’t even keep up, so I just stick to what I know. Overall, it was a beneficial learning experience, the information is necessary because probably by the time I’m thirty, everything will done by computer.

No comments: