Friday, September 12, 2008

Stop Hiding!

Recently in my electronic communications class we have been discussing how technology has been replacing interpersonal interaction in relationships. Online relationships have flourished since the advancement of the internet. More and more relationships are being formed through the internet, e-mails, and text messages. There are some advantages and disadvantages of this. Advantages of this would be being able to truly see a person’s inner qualities and see them for who they really are rather than going off physical attraction. Disadvantages would be that information can easily be misinterpreted. A connection can be in lack because you are not able to see the other person.


So now the question is, have I experienced this? The answer is yes, I personally have experienced the “electronic” relationship. It began with a text message, and has continued to be that way till now. It seems to be that I am more comfortable just talking to this person over the phone and texting rather than seeing this person face-to-face. When we actually met in person for the first time, it was an awkward experience simply because the same reactions and feelings that were expressed over the phone I could not express in person. There was no computer screen or phone to hide behind; it was up close and personal. Preferably I would have liked to have met first to begin the relationship in order to alleviate any fears and speculations.


In another instance I found myself using the cell phone as a way to escape nervousness or making eye contact with someone I didn’t want to talk to. When I feel uncomfortable in foreign places, I have the tendency to use my phone as my security blanket; automatically I open my phone and act as if I am texting someone or surfing the net. I do this subconsciously and it’s interesting how dependent on my phone I am in situations such as this. By me using my phone to hide my nervousness, it is directly cutting me out of social interaction. It cuts of the possibility of potential relationships being formed and may portray to me as being antisocial and consumed by this device. I seriously need to find an alternative method to dealing with this because if not I may miss out on someone who’s worthy of forming a relationship with.

But I digress and said all that to say this, stop hiding behind cell phones and computer screens!

4 comments:

Emily said...

I completely relate to Candace's experiences. I have not personally gone through an electronic relationships, but I am one to hide behind my phone and computer screen. It's just easier for me, as for her, so type what I really want to say, rather than actually saying those things in person.

Tiff said...

I agree with this blog because I have experienced a similar situation. I have also been known to hide behind my phone. I also tend to use it as a security blanket in foreign places when I feel uncomfortable.It's almost easier to write down feelings rather than express them face to face. I do think that we have to stop hiding behind the computers and phones, and start communicating face to face.

Mike said...

I think almost everyone has done this at some point or other. Many times I'll just be walking around campus and whip out my phone simply to look like I have something important to say to some unknown person. I know that I use a cellphone way to much as a security blanket, and I need to move on from that.

Carly said...

I admit that I have also used my cell phone as a security blanket. If I am feeling alone or insecure in a public place, I almost always read over old text messages or fiddle around on my phone. I'm not sure why I do it, but since this class has made me aware of it, I am trying to stop using my phone to hide behind. It turns out, I don't need my cell phone every time I'm by myself, but sometimes it helps to pass the time, or make me feel less awkward.